Thursday 7 July 2016

HITTING THE BREAK!!




A Vehicle on the highway

God willing, on Monday morning my dad will wake me up so early. The 4:00 am kind of early.  He is a fervent believer in the early bird/ worm ideology. I will complain that i warned him against waking me in ungodly hours and that i had set an alarm that would wake me up with the sweet encouraging voice of Christina Shusho. He has been doing this since i was twelve- only then i used to wake up to study. 'Dad am all grown up now.' He will walk  back to his bedroom whistling like a soldier arriving from a war he has won. I will slowly pluck myself from bed, left leg first; having seconds thoughts about living my warm comfort zone for the grudgingly cold outside. My head is still foggy, am not thinking so i will end up hitting the wall right next to the door. I will hiss cusses, then my sister will be chocking in laughter under her sheets. Even though am upset i will hold out the hope that God will avenge me and few miles down the road of life, i will be the one laughing at her.

Now awake as a lie detector, i will walk to the kitchen while gently massaging my forehead to avoid a hump. By 5:30pm, breakfast will be ready. And by 7am, i  will be poised for my journey. Ready to spend the week around four people that i love most in the world. And i will start with mother dear.

My hair will be well plaited. This is pertinent. In my village, people who stay in 'Ilovi' are held in high regard and this comes with expectations. That one has to look like they stay in the city under the sun where there are opportunities to make money. Am inadvertently a prisoner of these expectations so i have play by the unwritten rules. And that is why i will be extra extra immaculate.

At 7am i will throw on my back the bag carrying some fruits and few other things i bought for mother dear and set for Eastern By-pass. The Eastern By-pass is the fastest route to get to Ukambani nowadays- (ooh! bless you president Kibaki, you were truly send from heaven!) It's jus 7am and i desperately need to save my money- since i have a long week ahead of me! So instead of taking a bodaboda to the bus stage i will walk. It will be dusty, and with the heavy bag on my back i will feel like am climbing mount Kenya,  anyway it will also be good exercise as lately i have turned my back on exercising so i won't mind; drops of sweat will start oozing from my forehead and my armpits will be hot. I will be like- 'Jesus thank you for my Rexona roll on'

Some of these by-pass matatus are old, the kind of old where when the matatu suddenly stops, your seat could literally slide forward! Unlucky me i will get one of the oldest. With the noises its engine will be making, we will take twice as much time to get to our destination. We will be lucky if it does not stall altogether. The conductor will emphatically compel me to pay extra charges for my copious bag. Like a good Kenyan, i will refuse to pay and complain of extortion. I will not relent and if lucky, another passenger will take my side of the argument. If the conductor will play the- "kama hulipi shuka" card i will tuck my tail and give him his dues. 

When you actually think about it, there is no loss in disembarking such an old snail, but with my heavy bag i will choose to toe the line. From Kangundo road, i will take another matatu to Thika then to Matuu; my final jump off point to home.
When you don't own an automobile , there are only two modes of transport here- an old matatu or a motorcycle and each has its pros and cons. All matatus are fourteen sitters, but you will be crammed with other passengers that breathing will be a problem and the odour wafting in the vehicle will be good enough to be used as mosquito a repellant. To increase chances of survival, you ought to sit next to the window. Where there is also the risk of being pricked by branches of trees by the road side as the driver swerves on the rugged dusty road. When you chose a motorcycle, you are likely to arrive with a blocked nose and a broken back thanks to dust and the bad road.

I will quietly lament and murmur complaints that maendeleo chapchap has not benefited us, then i will board the matatu. I will need some space for my legs and my bag, so i will pick the seat right behind the driver. Women who had come to restock groceries for their kiosks will also board the vehicle. They will caution the rest of the passengers against leaning on their kiondos stuffed with; tomatoes, avocados, cabbage, potatoes and onions. Careful not to throw myself in the radar of the big woman next to me, i will sit like a robot- i won't fidget to try and make myself comfortable lest i crush her tomatoes which she will be glancing at every two minutes. That place is meant to carry three passengers, but there will be five of us. I will literally be sitted with one cheek of my butts, which by the time i arrive home will be frozen and painful. My shoes will be melting from the heat dissipated by the engine, sweat will ooze from my forehead and tears will collect in my eyes as i gallantly fight the discomfort on my soles. My silver lining will be the fresh air coming from the window on my right. Even though the dust will make my eyes uncomfortable as hot hell, i will be reminded by a sticker on the driver's seat that am not in my home!- "Ukitaka starehe nunua gari yako!" After a forty five minutes uncomfortable drive, i will alight and at that moment i will feel like a human being again!

The discipline mother dear has instilled in me could not allow me to eat anything being hawked in matatus except the water i was carrying in my handbag, so i will be so famished. Luckily, she will have prepared mouthwatering chicken to be accompanied with ugali. Every time we go home, one of her chicken has to part with its life! After a quick wash-up, i will descend on the plate full placed on the table. I will tell her stories of what i have been up to in the city. I will tell her everything, including how i witnessed mob justice!

I will stay home for two days. In the two days i will help with house chores, farm work and feeding the chicken and cleaning their shed. The only thing i will not get close to are the cattle- they don't like me much and the feeling is mutual!  So i always keep a safe distance. I will also prepare all the meals. Mother dear will be so happy. I will promise to take more breaks from city hustle and visit her. After the second day she will say her blessings to me, bid me goodbye and i will be off to my next destination- Masinga! There i will be visiting my big sister and two of my favorite people in the world. My five and three year old nephew and niece.

The journey to Masinga always gives me the creeps. The matatus are always overloaded and are driven at an ungodly speed. The constant beeping of  flying proboxes ferrying miraa from Embu to the city makes the journey more precarious. I normally pray throughout the journey. Before taking off, i will shop for; chocolate, chips, cake and popcorn- my nephew called me two days ago and spelled out a list of the things he needed me to bring him and his sister!

It will be a sixty minutes nerve wrecking journey. But i will be grateful to God for journey mercies. My sister will be exhilarated that am around and her house help  will be off duty. I asked if she could give her some time off so i could take care of the kids and bond with them.

I will wake up at 3am for some QT (quiet time) and writing. At 6:30am, i will wake my nephew to ready him for school. He will complain that he is so sleepy and doesn't want to go to school. I will plead while making mostly empty promises of getting him new toys and allowing him to have more time for games on my phone and cartoon. I will even give him a shilling for sweets on his way to school! (Darn!Even toddlers loooove money!) I will feed him breakfast, wash him and dress him up in school uniform. We will take selfies on our way to school, but i will neither post them on Instagram nor Facebook, i would rather he decides later in his life whether he wants his photos on social media or not! Being a great aunty, I will offer to carry him on my back, but he will retort- "Mimi ni mwanaume!" (Kid has no chills menh!) He will hold my index finger tightly as we walk, oblivious that he just broke my heart! At the school gate he will let go of my finger, look at me and say- "Nikimaliza class unikujie?" I will assure him that i will be at the gate to pick him when the day is done. i will tell him- "Nakupenda!" Then he will wave at me with his little hand, pacing up to join the other kids, at that point i won't be able to take another heartbreak so i will assume the wave means- i love you too auntie!

Back home now to the other bunny! When i get to the house she will still be fast asleep. I will use that window period to catch up with trends on social media. A soft voice asking- "mummy ako wapi?" will pull me from the social media world. I will explain that mummy is out working to bring home a big beautiful doll and chocolate. That flimsy explanation will put her heart at ease!

Breakfast is never really her thing, so it will take empty threats and promises to get her to finish it. After few minutes of watching cartoon she will beg me to apply make-up on her face. As i assemble the tools, her face will be beaming with excitement and perhaps showing confidence in my skills. I will start to fill the pressure coz i know am not so good! She will pull her tiny pink seat close to me and surrender her face first then her little toes and fingers- i will do my best! 
When am done, she will be so exhilarated and will ask me to take photos of her. I will not post them on Facebook attached with lame #hashtags! But i will remember that my twin sister is in the city grinding her job and books in preparation for an exam. Being the good person i am, i will pull a seat in WhatsApp and camp there, sharing the photos with her; incessantly reminding her that am having fun while she is sweating and biting her nails!

When the princess falls asleep, i will take time to catch up with the trends on social media. There won't be much on Facebook except a friend flaunting her brown weave and another a new dress. All of them accompanying there photos with profoundly annoying #hashtags. KOT (Kenyans on Twitter) will be venting over news that billions of taxpayers' money have been lost to corruption! After that i will read Richard North Patterson's- 'Devils Light'.

After two hours the princess will wakeup, we will play foot/handball then have lunch. By 3:30pm, the other musketeer will be home from school looking like he was diving in a sea of dust. As i wash him up, i will inquire of the interesting things he learnt in school. Between the a and c alphabets and my praise he will retort- "wewe sio mwalimu wangu!" (What a good feeling that teacher has, to have such a loyal student!!). Either way i will commend him for doing great in school.

After feeding we will seat to do the homework, which he will hurriedly do to join his friends outside for fun! I will explain that he should learn to commit to one thing at a time- life lesson; but who am i kidding?  He won't even be listening!

When the day is done, the youngest one will request- "aunty tafadhali nibebe nilale" She will lie peacefully on my thighs and rest her head on my left arm. She will take slow gentle breathes as sleep overtakes her. And i will watch her, and wonder whether there could be anything more adorable. Burning with jealousy the other will demand i put him to sleep as well. I will put her on her bed, then kiss her goodnight. I will then carry my nephew to bed and lull him to sleep. When he is sound asleep i will slowly leave his bed and pick a pen to write about my amazing day with my nephew and niece.

I will repeat this schedule for four days!!

What a worthwhile mini-holiday it will be!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Foot Forward